So after years with my Hotmail account I got fed up with the copious amounts of spam and the ridiculous volume of smut banner ads. I have officially closed my Hotmail account never to be opened again. Enter Gmail.
Months ago Berger sent me an invite to Gmail, Google’s version of free, web-based email. It took a little getting used to, but I can proudly say, it’s the only free, web-based email address I’ll ever need.
If you have a Hotmail account and you want to save your old emails to your computer, follow these steps…
- Download and install Mozilla Thunderbird or Outlook Express
- Download and install WebMail Retriever for Hotmail
- Verify that your account can be logged into using Retriever
- In Thunderbird or Outlook, setup a new email account on your computer, using the instructions in the Retriever program
- Login to your Hotmail account and mark any email messages you want to download as “Unread”, then move them to your Inbox if they’re in other folders
- Use your email client on your computer (Thunderbird or Outlook) and “Get Mail/Sync”
- Your email client will then download all the emails you marked as “Unread” and sent to your Inbox.
No need to “FW:” tons of email. Just repeat steps 5-7 to grab all your email.
(Breaths a sigh of relief)
Finally, no more Hotmail.